In 1930, the Kutol company came up with a putty to clean coal dust off of walls. Impending bankruptcy forced them to shift gears to find news ways of making a profit. A new company was formed and Play-Doh was born.
Trace’s Mom’s Most Excellent Play dough recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- a few drops of the food coloring of your choice
- Add everything to a saucepan and stir while cooking over medium low heat until it forms a ball. When the dough comes together, knead when it is cool enough to touch to smooth.
- Keep sealed in plastic when not in use.