Extreme Ironing-also called EI
Extreme Ironing Bureau, extreme ironing is “the latest danger sport that combines the thrills of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well-pressed shirt.”
Bungee ironing is what some would call the ultimate in the thrill of extreme ironing.
Belly Button Lint Collecting-AB
Graham Baker has collected 22.1 grams collected in three jars as of the writing of the article-started at 19. About as heavy as a mouse or AA battery.
Guiness Book of World Records holder in 2000
Rube Goldberg (1883-1970) U. Cal Berkeley with a degree in engineering. After graduating in 1904 with a degree in engineering, he briefly helped design sewer systems in San Francisco for $100 a month.
Rube quit so that he could draw cartoons for the San Francisco Chronicle for $8 a week. He enthusiastically offered his cartoons to the newspaper, only to later find them discarded in the wastebaskets. Occasionally the editor accepted one, but Rube was required to sweep floors and file pictures from the morgue to stay on the payroll.
First worked for San Francisco Chronicle, then to NY made a name with Hearst.
Rube Goldberg is the only person ever to be listed in the Merriam Webster Dictionary as an adjective.
:accomplishing by complex means what seemingly could be done simply
a kind of Rube Goldberg contraption … with five hundred moving parts —L. T. Grant
; also :characterized by such complex means
It’s estimated that he did a staggering 50,000 cartoons in his lifetime.
Life begins at 70: Pensioners discover extreme hobbies in their twilight years
Russian photojournalist Vladimir Yakovlev
Ruth Flowers decided to become a club DJ when she turned 68. After suddenly losing her husband – with whom she had lived for forty years – she found she no longer wanted to stay in their home in a village in Portugal. Everything reminded her of her loss and she decided she had to try something new. When she told friends she was set on becoming a DJ they thought her sorrow had driven her to madness. Ruth could not understand why everyone was so convinced that older people are supposed to sit quietly at home and not dance at night clubs? From 2009 she won world recognition and played at various clubs in London, Ibiza, Paris, New York, Los Angeles and even Tokyo. Sadly, Ms Flowers, aka Mamy Rock, passed away in May 2014, at the age of 83.
Lloyd Kahn, first tried skatebording at 65. He stood up on a board, fell immediately, and hurt his hand. What did he learn from the experience? That he should wear full protective gear: knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet. Lloyd, who is now 78-year-old, says: “I don’t do any special tricks. I don’t ride like the teenagers. I try not to go too fast, so that I could always jump off and land on my feet.”Picture: Vladimir Yakovlev/REX
Competitive Dog Grooming:
Big in China, the US and the UK
- In 2010 a new trend hit the internet. Extreme dog grooming.
- Began in China and spread around the world
- why have your dog look like a dog when they can look like pandas, tigers, or even a tropical rain forest with parrots.
- The hair dying is supposedly done all with vegetable dyes…
- Hair spray, props, sculpting the hair.
- In 2012, a dye job in Beijing could take up to five hours and cost nearly $100.
- SuperZoo Conference and trade show in August of 2019
- Has a Creative Styling Competition
- Often judged on: Sharp clean lines, beautiful vivid colors
- 1st place is 2,500!
Fire Hula Hooping: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
Skip ahead 43 seconds for when she starts to spin the hoop on her body. YIKES!
- Buy 20” spines with a large wad of wicking on them and can attach them to any hula hoop
- image and product from: Firetoys.com
- Soaking them in white gas then light on fire
- Then it’s hooping with fire
- Odd facts
- super loud whoosh of the flames
- super bright cuts down on visibiliy
- Odd facts
- special training need to be a super good hooper, etc.
Large garden snails… Did this when I was a kid with snails or caterpillars
Popular since the 1960s…last year, 135 snails competed in the 2017 World Snail Racing Championships.
- Placed in a circle by the snail master and timed to see how quickly they can inch past the finish line.
- 13 inch race
- the 2017 winner took two minutes and 47 seconds
I know you are dying for the 2018 results.
- 190 snails entered
- 11 made it to the finals
- Hosta the snail won by completing the course in three minutes ten seconds